Saturday, November 24, 2012

VaCo wants Virginia to keep its uranium mining moratorium


Posted: Thursday, November 15, 2012 2:22 pm | Updated: 7:04 pm, Thu Nov 15, 2012.
The Virginia Association of Counties has weighed in on the uranium mining debate by supporting the state’s moratorium on uranium mining and milling — pending further study.
 

The resolution was unanimously passed Sunday by the environmental and agricultural steering committee at VaCo’s annual conference at The Homestead in Hot Springs.
 

The Virginia General Assembly is expected to take up the state moratorium on uranium mining when legislators return to Richmond in January. Virginia Uranium Inc. wants to mine and mill a 119-million pound deposit of uranium ore located about six miles from Chatham.
 
Pittsylvania Supervisor Jessie Barksdale, a supporter of the moratorium, is on VaCo’s environmental and agriculture steering committee, but he did not attend the conference, citing a previous commitment.
 
“I’m happy that it passed, because I knew I wouldn’t be able to attend,” Barksdale said. “I’m pleased.”
 
He says he hopes legislators will take note of the message sent by the vote.
 
“I think it sends a very clear signal that counties beyond, or around this county, are taking this issue very seriously,” he said. “At this time, I think members of VaCo feel it just isn’t worth the risk.”
 
VaCo’s decision follows a similar move by the Virginia Municipal League, which approved a similar resolution in September at its own annual meeting. VML also decided to support the current moratorium.
 
While the wording of VaCo’s resolution was brief, VML expounded on its position, citing health and environmental concerns related to uranium mining. VML says regulatory framework should address the “concerns, warnings, and conclusions” contained in the National Academies of Sciences report issued in December 2011.
 
VML’s position also said, “the state should take no action to preempt, eliminate or preclude local government jurisdiction with respect to whether uranium mining would be allowed in the respective jurisdiction.”
 
State Sen. Bill Stanley said the groups’ actions have weight.
 
“I want all opinions,” Stanley said. “I want to hear from everybody I possible can on the issue before the General Assembly.”
 
He says he wants to be able to communicate it to others at the General Assembly. His position, he says, remains the same.
 
“Unless they can show me it’s 100 percent safe, I’m not for lifting the moratorium,” Stanley said.
He added: “[If] we don’t have an ability to mine it with a 100 percent degree of safety … I will urge my fellow senators to keep the moratorium in place.”
 
Delegate Danny Marshall says he’s not sure if the lobbyists will sway votes
 
“I’ve already decided that I was a no a long time ago,” he said.
 
He added: “I think that some people will look at that, and I think it’s a good idea.”
 
Delegate Don Merricks says he is “waiting until everything gets on the table.”
 
“My position from day one has always been, ‘just deal with the facts,’” he said.
 
He added: “My statement has always been until someone can prove to me this can be done safely… to me it’s not a good thing to do.”