Sunday, May 26, 2013

A Memorial Day Poem for my Dad: A Daughter and Her Dad

A Memorial Day Poem for my Dad, Harry L. Pruitt: 

A Daughter and Her Dad     

Home on Leave at his Parent's Farm

 
My Dad was a kind person and a loving dad.   He loved to tell stories and talk to everyone, usually about God.  He was a devoted Christian. 
 He never met strangers; he treated them like long lost friends.
  Everywhere we went he met someone he knew, even in Florida. 
 My Dad was always there to listen to my problems and never was judgmental about my decisions.  He just listens and said things will work out.  He always came when I needed him.
 My Dad taught me to love animals and to help them. 
He always would bring home stray cats and dogs to my brother and me.   We would wake up a lot of times with new puppies or kittens to greet us. 
My son and I have continued this legacy of picking up stray animals.  They seem to make the best pets.
My Dad instilled in me the love of adventure, the love of collecting stuff and the love of antiques. 
Lots of time we would go for a weekend drive and drive for miles.  Once someone mentioned we had never been to the Chesapeake Bay and we just went, put our feet in the bay and came back home. 
My Dad loved the beach, especially the Wilmington area; therefore, I love the beach.
 
I have lots of memories in my house and furniture that my Dad gave me.
 
My Dad had patience and I am afraid I failed at this trait.  
 
He had patience with children and our shopping adventures. 
 
He helped me with my son during rough times.  He would pick up my crying, colic baby and Peyton always stopped crying when his Grandpa picked him up.  
 
My Dad loved animals and people.  He always said nice things about even the worst person and he always listened to people’s problems.  He would let people ride free on the bus when he knew they did not have money, he would just say, “Pay me when you can and he would pay for their fares.  
 
My Mom even told me about a lady in the grocery store was admiring their pork chops and said she wish she could afford them. 
 
 My Dad just looked at her and told her to pick up some chops and he would pay for them.
 
My Dad was just great!!!!  
 
Even in the last months of his life he was telling people about God. 
 
He went around Duke, visiting everyone’s room telling them about God and passing out his poem called, “Sixty Seconds”.  
 
My Dad to sum up his life was the following: 
·       Devoted Christian
·       Loving Father, Grandpa, Husband
·       Generous
·       Adventurous
 


By Deborah Pruitt Dix


Notes: My Father served in the Air Force during the 1950's but he was part of the nuclear experiments in Nevada, they drop nuclear bombs on his troops.  Sad time in history.  My Father passed on September 6, 2011, with complications of strange heart condition.   I felt like a piece of heart died that day, Love and miss you Dad.