Friday, April 23, 2010

Widespread floods hit Australian mines, towns

(AFP) – Feb 17, 2009

SYDNEY (AFP) — Serious flooding across Australia halted mining operations and forced officials to declare a number of disaster areas as deadly wildfires raged on in the south on Wednesday.

Global mining giant Rio Tinto said its iron ore operations in Western Australia had been significantly disrupted by torrential rains and floods as a tropical low hit the region.

"Many roads are impassable and all employees have been advised to exercise extreme caution," Rio said in a statement to the Australian Stock Exchange, announcing the suspension of several projects.

In the east, parts of New South Wales were declared natural disaster zones after heavy storms spawned floods that severed roads and left towns isolated. The declaration opens the way for government assistance.

The drought-stricken town of Bourke was drenched by 200 millimetres of rain (eight inches) -- about two-thirds of its annual rainfall -- in just 15 hours. Officials put the damage bill at about six million dollars (3.9 million US).

Read more:
http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5hxNvmJs2yhMwVK_iuzLrmsg8FntQ?index=0