Friday, October 9, 2009

Where do you stand on uranium mining in Virginia ?

Comment: People ranning for Lt. Gov and Att. General in Virginia, we do not want uranium mining or milling in Virginia! It has never been done safely anywhere in the world! Ban Uranium mining and milling now!

posted 09/29/09 4:34 pm

Jody Wagner (D) Lieutenant Governor Candidate:

“I am not in favor of uranium mining until we see a fully independent study that shows that it can be done safely without hurting the environment or the health of Virginians. While I don't want to take away any economic opportunity, we need to make sure that we do so safely. In addition, it's important that we work very hard on renewable energy, because that is ultimately what will benefit Virginia and grow jobs."

Bill Bolling, incumbent, (R) Lieutenant Governor Candidate:

“I think it's too early to tell whether that's a good idea or a bad idea. We are currently in the process of doing a comprehensive study to evaluate the benefits and risks of uranium mining, and I think we need to wait until that study is completed and we have a chance to review its results to determine whether or not we should permit uranium mining in Virginia."

Ken Cuccinelli (R) Attorney General Candidate:

"We've got a huge stash of uranium in southern Virginia, and right now we've been debating whether or not to even study whether it can be mined safely. I absolutely support taking a look at whether we can mine that uranium safely and if we can we should proceed to go ahead and do it. I think we also need to consider other factors like the impact on the local community."

Stephen Shannon (D) Attorney General Candidate:

"My goal as the Attorney General is going to be to keep all Virginians safe. And as the top law enforcement officer in the state, that includes making sure that drinking water is safe for all of our citizens. I would not be supportive of any sort of mining for uranium without assurances that we can do so while making drinking water safe. Right now, that hasn't been done. "

http://www.wset.com/news/stories/1009/666347.html
http://www.wset.com/news/stories/1009/664617.html